<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD JATS (Z39.96) Journal Publishing DTD v1.2d1 20170631//EN" "JATS-journalpublishing1.dtd">
<article xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" dtd-version="1.0" article-type="dentistry" lang="en">
      <journal-id journal-id-type="publisher">JOHS</journal-id>
      <journal-id journal-id-type="nlm-ta">Journ of Health Scien</journal-id>
        <journal-title>Journal of HealthCare Sciences</journal-title>
        <abbrev-journal-title abbrev-type="pubmed">Journ of Health Scien</abbrev-journal-title>
      <issn pub-type="ppub">2231-2196</issn>
      <issn pub-type="opub">0975-5241</issn>
        <publisher-name>Radiance Research Academy</publisher-name>
      <article-id pub-id-type="publisher-id">1</article-id>
      <article-id pub-id-type="doi">http://dx.doi.org/10.52533/JOHS.2021.1101</article-id>
      <article-id pub-id-type="doi-url"/>
        <subj-group subj-group-type="heading">
        <article-title>Dental Fear Assessment for Children in Saudi Arabia Using the Children</article-title>
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
        <contrib contrib-type="author">
      <pub-date pub-type="ppub">
        <copyright-statement>This article is copyright of Popeye Publishing, 2009</copyright-statement>
        <license license-type="open-access" href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/">
          <license-p>This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) Licence. You may share and adapt the material, but must give appropriate credit to the source, provide a link to the licence, and indicate if changes were made.</license-p>
        <p>Background: Dental fear is defined as a subjective state of feeling or a reaction to a dental source of danger such as needles or hand pieces. This study aims to assess the prevalence of dental fear and the associated factors in Saudi children.&#13;
Methods: This is a cross-sectional survey-based study that utilized the translated and validated Arabic version of the Children’s Fear Survey Schedule-Dental Subscale (CFSS-DS) on a total of 374 participants. It has used Spearman’s correlation analysis to determine the correlation between the CFSS-DS items and the reported scores.&#13;
Results: A total 374 participants were included in the study. Among these, 77% were female and 23% were male. Moreover, most children (62%) attended private schools while the remaining (38%) attended government schools. The total mean CFSS-DS score for the study population was 24.7---PlusMinusSymbol---7.2. Female children had significantly higher total mean CFSS-DS scores than males (25.2---PlusMinusSymbol---6.9 versus 22.8---PlusMinusSymbol---7.6, respectively, p= 0.007). Moreover, patients who attended private schools had higher total mean CFSS-DS scores than patients who attended government schools (25.4---PlusMinusSymbol---6.9 versus 23.4---PlusMinusSymbol---7.5, respectively, p= 0.008). Our results also indicate that all of the CFSS-DS items show significant correlations and scores (p&lt; 0.001), with injections being the most feared practice (r= 0.64).&#13;
Conclusion: Our results indicate a high degree of fear and anxiety among Saudi children towards dental practices, with injections being the most feared practice. Creative ideas should be considered when approaching children with a high probability of developing fear.&#13;
        <kwd>Survey Schedule-Dental Subscale CFSS-DS</kwd>
        <kwd>Pediatric dental care</kwd>